The Law Offices of J. Buchanan-McLean is a law firm dedicated to providing quality legal service in a timely and efficient manner to all our clients. We specialise in Real Est
ate and Property Law and our aim is to solve complex legal issues to the satisfaction of our clients.
Janice Buchanan-McLean holds a Master of Laws Degree (L.L.M.) in Corporate and Commercial Law from the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, a Legal Education Certificate (L.E.C.) from the Norman Manley Law School, a Bachelor of Laws Degree (L.L.B), from the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados and a Bachelor of Arts Degree (B.A) in English Literature from the University of the West Indies, Mona.
Mrs. Buchanan-McLean is a specialist in the area of Real Estate/ Conveyancing Law. She is licensed to practice law in Jamaica and is a member of the Jamaican Bar Association. Mrs. Buchanan-McLean was formerly employed to the National Land Agency (NLA) (Titles Office) and the H ousing Agency of Jamaica Limited (HAJ) in the capacity of Legal Officer/Attorney-at-Law. While in the employ of these government agencies she acquired a wealth of experience in the areas of Conveyancing and Property Law.
Her sojourn as a lawyer had its early roots at the Titles Office where she acquired essential skills and competence in Land Title matters. At the Titles office she registered Instruments of Transfers, Mortgages, Transmission Applications, Court Orders, Notations of Death and Marriage, Caveats and Powers of Attorney. She also registered New Certificates of Title arising from Splinter Titles, Lost Title Applications, Applications to bring land under the Registration of Titles Act and Strata Titles. Read more......Read less
On Monday, September 15, 1958, Glenmuir High School welcomed its first batch of fifty-five (55) students. His Excellency, Sir Kenneth Blackburne, Governor of Jamaica, official
ly declared the school opened, two weeks later. Known then as Glenmuir Co-educational High, the school was part of an extensive educational programme launched that year by the then Lord Bishop of Jamaica, the late Rt. Rev. Percival W. Gibson.
History records that Custos George W. Muirhead offered his property in Mocho, Clarendon, as a possible site for the school. Eventually the location of his May Pen home, situated on 25 acres of land, was made available at a cost of £13, 500. Robert DeRoux was entrusted with the task of making sure that ‘Muir ’ was forever immortalized in the name of the school.
This house provided classrooms, and the three staff members along with headmaster, Dr. Sydney Howard Scott, established the academic goal of preparing students for the General Certificate of Education at b oth levels.
In 1959, the school was recognized as a Government Grantaided one. With a generous grant from the Anglican Church to the tune of £20,000, and a further £10,000 from a society in England, and the tireless efforts of successive Boards of Governors, classrooms, science laboratories, home economic centre and woodwork shop were erected.
The decade of the sixties saw the establishment of the Parents Teachers ’ Association. Several illustrious educators also joined the Glenmuir family, including School Chaplain and Religious Instructor, Rev. Eric W. A. Dean in 1965.
By 1974, there were 29 teachers, including the Vice Principal, Mrs. D.V. Brown. Four years later, she left for the Principal post at Bishop Gibson, another Anglican high school and was succeeded at Glenmuir by Mrs. Zetilda Morgan.
When the foundation Principal retired after 25 years and handed over the baton to past student, Clement Radcliffe, the student population stood at 1091. With the a ssistance of Vice Principals, Marjorie Henry, Valsie Sommerville, Cynthia Bridge and Beryl Clarke, the high standards and ideals of the institution were kept intact. In July 2008, the school ’s population stood at 1459 students, 79 teachers, with Vice Principals, Mrs. Dahlia Bartley and Mrs. Karen Radcliffe. Of note too, is the unwavering contribution of past students who have made the continued development of their alma mater their life long ambition. For example there are currently thirty-four (34) past students on the teaching staff.
They, with board members, teaching, administrative and ancillary staff, parents, past students and well wishers, have pooled their energy and talents to ensure that Glenmuir will withstand the challenges to be faced in the next fifty years. Read more......Read less
Lex Caribbean was established in Barbados in 1997. Our vision was to become the first pan-Caribbean law firm providing seamless advice as to the local law of multiple territor
ies in the region. With over 30 lawyers, we currently operate from three offices in Trinidad and Tobago (consequent upon a merger in the late 1990’s with DeNobriga, Inniss & Co., a leading firm in Trinidad and Tobago which had been founded in 1967), and from single office locations in both Barbados and Jamaica. We have also formed strategic alliances with respect counsel in several other Islands, consolidating our extensive reach throughout the Caribbean.
Innovative, Responsive & Seamless Legal Sevices Our local cultural affinity and the seamlessness of our deployment across multiple Caribbean territories differentiate us from all other law firms in our markets.
Lex Caribbean services are:
Corporate, Commercial Finance
International Business. Read more......Read less