The Mico University College (The Mico) is a tertiary education institution in Kingston, Jamaica. The focus of this institution is on teacher training, but it offers programmes
in a variety of disciplines. The Mico provides diverse opportunities for the achievement of higher education through flexible and comprehensive Bachelor's, Master's, Post Diploma and Certificate programmes.
The Mico was founded in 1835 through the Lady Mico Charity, one of four teacher training institutions established during this period in the British colonies and the only one to survive to the present. The oldest teacher training institution in the Western Hemisphere and English-speaking world.
The Mico University College was established as a nondenominational Christian institution that caters both to male and female students. Over the years the institution has undergone expansion and development, both physically and in its academic programmes.
In the 1970's the Government started trainin t eachers for children with special needs, as well as funding for the training of teachers in these schools. Consequently, The Mico was selected by the Government as the college to offer this training. By the 1980s, The Mico was not only providing such teachers for schools in Jamaica, but for the entire Englishspeaking Caribbean.
In addition, through assistance from the Government of the Netherlands, the College established The Mico University College Diagnostic and Therapeutic Centre (the CARE Centre) to diagnose the learning challenges of multiple handicapped children and design individualised instructional techniques for these students. This Centre is the only one of its kind in the Commonwealth Caribbean and has gained international recognition.
The Mico over the years has offered Certificate, Diploma and Degree programmes in:
Early Childhood Education
Education Administr ation
Some of the programmes that the institution now offers include Bachelors and Masters degree programmes in Language and Literacy, Information Studies, Literature and Literacy, Guidance and Counselling, Physical Education, Social Studies, School Management and Leadership, Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Geography And Environmental Studies, Heritage Studies, History and Culture, Arts in Education, Science Education, Mathematics Education, Industrial Technology and Family and Consumer Science.
The Mico University College is managed by a Board of Directors and The Mico Foundation which has a 12 member Board. The President is a member of each board. He is the Managing Director of the Foundation.
The University College offers undergraduate degree programmes through three faculties: the Faculty of Education and Liberal Arts, the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Science and Technology. Each faculty is managed by a dean.
Additionally, furth er studies are being offered through the School of Continuing Studies which supports students in upgrading their qualifications to enable them to matriculate into undergraduate and graduate programme.
Apply now! Read more......Read less
Quality Academics has been one of Jamaica’s leading private educational institutions since its inception in September 1998. We have an enviable reputation of delivering high
quality tuition from excellent teachers in a safe, structured environment that is conducive to learning. We add value to each student with commendable outcomes of good examination results and improved character.
We differentiate ourselves by the quality of our service:
• Our greatest asset is the quality of our teachers and the effort they make in producing the “quality graduate”.
• Our teachers are professional with proven records of performance and results.
• We hold ourselves accountable for the development of each student in our care and under our instruction.
• Our instruction emphasises deeper understanding, thinking, application and encourages imagination.
• We get results with class sizes of 25 (or less) students and optimum contact time per subject each week.
• Our exam prepara tion is structured and intense.
• Our values-based focus also emphasises character, leadership and spiritual development.
• Our administration monitors each student, communicates clearly with parents and develops a partnership with all stakeholders.
• QA’s sixth form is the perfect link between high school and university with special courses designed to improve CAPE results and develop skills needed for higher education.
• Sixth formers are exposed to programmes designed to develop leadership, social awareness and service to the community.
Foundation laid for CXC
4th and 5th Forms (CSEC)
Students prepared for CSEC and CCSLC exams from 4th form.
6th Form (CAPE and university preparation)
Comprehensive CAPE preparation, including Tutorials, Courses on Critical Thinking, Research skills, Statistical analysis, I.T. Skills, Field trips and contextual experience, Seminars on leadership, Intense exam preparation, Maratho n exam question drills, Clubs and societies, Community Service and Volunteerism. Read more......Read less