Livingston Alexander & Levy began its existence on the 10th February, 1911 making it the oldest law firm in Jamaica. The Firm of Attorneys delivers a wide range of legal servi
ces to local corporations, multi-nationals, Governments and individuals ranging from Conveyancing, litigation, company and commercial law, dispute resolution, employment law, estate planning, wills and trusts, pensions, real estate, securities, intellectual property and taxation.
On the 20th of February 1911, Kingston solicitor, Noel Brooks Livingston (later Sir) advised his clients that I have this day admitted Harold Vincent Alexander of Kingston, solicitor, into partnership with me. The name of the firm will be Livingston & Alexander.
The firm underwent a name change in 1915 when Mervyn T. King, a newly admitted solicitor, joined the team and they became known as Livingston, Alexander & King. The partnership was dissolved the following year by mutual consent and Livingston & Alexander continued to practise under their old name.
Another young man, Aston Theodore Ivanhoe Levy, joined Livingston & Alexander as an articled clerk in 1922. Once Levy qualified as a solicitor, he remained with the firm and became a well known figure in the field of trademark legislation and patent law. When he was made a partner in 1945, the firm changed its name to Livingston, Alexander & Levy.
Throughout that era, there were two separate and distinct branches of the legal profession - solicitors and barristers. All this changed in 1972 when the professions were fused and lawyers became known as attorneys-at-law. That year, Livingston, Alexander & Levy enlarged the scope of its practice by inviting one of the region's leading Queen's Counsel, the Hon. Roald N.A. Henriques, to become a partner and in the ensuing years the firm established a formidable litigation department.
As a result of the political, social and economic upheavals of the 1970s, Jamaica experienced the mass migrat ion of some of its most talented citizens. Between 1975-77, Livingston, Alexander & Levy lost no less than twelve attorneys-at-law, eight of whom were partners. Could the firm continue with its legal complement so substantially diminished? For answer there was a merger in 1976 with A.E. Brandon & Company and Douglas Ian Brandon and Cecil B. Lopez came on board as partners. Another merger took place in 1979 with Hanna, Cooper and Associates, resulting in Paul Cooper being made a partner. Read more......Read less
You might be surprised to discover what Initial can do for your company. As one of the world's largest business services companies, we can work with you to deliver a wide rang e of essential support services, leaving you free to get on with running your co Read more......Read less
On Monday, September 15, 1958, Glenmuir High School welcomed its first batch of fifty-five (55) students. His Excellency, Sir Kenneth Blackburne, Governor of Jamaica, official
ly declared the school opened, two weeks later. Known then as Glenmuir Co-educational High, the school was part of an extensive educational programme launched that year by the then Lord Bishop of Jamaica, the late Rt. Rev. Percival W. Gibson.
History records that Custos George W. Muirhead offered his property in Mocho, Clarendon, as a possible site for the school. Eventually the location of his May Pen home, situated on 25 acres of land, was made available at a cost of £13, 500. Robert DeRoux was entrusted with the task of making sure that ‘Muir ’ was forever immortalized in the name of the school.
This house provided classrooms, and the three staff members along with headmaster, Dr. Sydney Howard Scott, established the academic goal of preparing students for the General Certificate of Education at b oth levels.
In 1959, the school was recognized as a Government Grantaided one. With a generous grant from the Anglican Church to the tune of £20,000, and a further £10,000 from a society in England, and the tireless efforts of successive Boards of Governors, classrooms, science laboratories, home economic centre and woodwork shop were erected.
The decade of the sixties saw the establishment of the Parents Teachers ’ Association. Several illustrious educators also joined the Glenmuir family, including School Chaplain and Religious Instructor, Rev. Eric W. A. Dean in 1965.
By 1974, there were 29 teachers, including the Vice Principal, Mrs. D.V. Brown. Four years later, she left for the Principal post at Bishop Gibson, another Anglican high school and was succeeded at Glenmuir by Mrs. Zetilda Morgan.
When the foundation Principal retired after 25 years and handed over the baton to past student, Clement Radcliffe, the student population stood at 1091. With the a ssistance of Vice Principals, Marjorie Henry, Valsie Sommerville, Cynthia Bridge and Beryl Clarke, the high standards and ideals of the institution were kept intact. In July 2008, the school ’s population stood at 1459 students, 79 teachers, with Vice Principals, Mrs. Dahlia Bartley and Mrs. Karen Radcliffe. Of note too, is the unwavering contribution of past students who have made the continued development of their alma mater their life long ambition. For example there are currently thirty-four (34) past students on the teaching staff.
They, with board members, teaching, administrative and ancillary staff, parents, past students and well wishers, have pooled their energy and talents to ensure that Glenmuir will withstand the challenges to be faced in the next fifty years. Read more......Read less
Ken Mor originally began as a family business and was later registered as a Limited Liability Company in 1985. We are a local company that specializes in the repair of bags an
d luggage, we also offer the best in leather combat boots and safety shoes and boots. Products include shoes for the police and fire departments, safety boots for the general public, and footwear for ladies and children.
Ken Mor has an efficient and highly skilled team that is capable of repairing your luggage and making it as good as new. Ken Mor managing director Percival Morgan has over 25 years of experience in the field of shoe manufacturing. He has an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion and a keen eye for fashion and manufacturing.
Ken Mor originally began as a family business and was later registered as a Limited Liability Company in 1985. Ken Mor managing director Percival Morgan has over 25 years of experience in the field of shoe manufacturing. He has an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion and a keen eye for fashion and manufacturing.
Ken Mor are proud of their products because they are comfortable, durable and highly cost effective. When you wear a Ken Mor shoe you are dressed for safety and dressed for performance.
All locally made brands for our leather combat boots and safety shoes. For Luggage repair, we are capable of repairing all brand luggages all type fabrics.
Visit our website or give a call for more information on our products and services. Read more......Read less
Read up on the characters, setting and plot that make Jakes singular, lyrical and altogether memorable. From us to all, one love.
The Legend: The late Perry Henzell co-wrote and directed Jamaica’s first major motion picture that burst reggae into new international consciousness. According to Rolling Stone, The Harder They Come has the best movie soundtrack of all time. The legacy endures, all over, just right.
The Architect: The wondrously inventive Sally Henzell is a set designer, poet and artist to the core. With nary a lick of architectural education, she’s built up the islands most iconic properties. Each comes to her in a dream, of the earth and undulating with fearless color.
The Activator: After his mother opened Jakes, Jason saw in her audacious idea a business opportunity. He proved the unseen south coast could indeed become a true destination. Then came his own big vision… building the region’s preeminent Sports Park acr oss the street.
The Educator: Jason’s wife Laura imagined a driftwood enclosed yoga deck above the sea and a world-class spa with island aromas below-and made it all happen. She recruits top yogis to Jakes and teaches herself. Plus, she opened a brilliant primary school for area youth.
The Enricher: Jason’s sister Justine works to sustain and protect her father’s artistic legacy. And along the way, she enhances the world with her own films and ideas. She is a producer behind Calabash, the powerhouse literary festival that’s rendered Jakes an artistic pilgrimage.
1660S SHIPWRECK SWEETSPOT: When a Scottish ship sank close to Treasure Beach, its sailors swam up and stayed. They married beautiful Jamaican women, originating a concentrated genetic jackpot of gorgeous Jamaicans with Scottish surnames, light eyes, reddish hair and remarkable skin. Locally, we call dem Reds.
“IN THIS PARISH WE WORK, NOT SHIRK.”: The slogan on an old sign welcoming peo ple to St. Elizabeth promises both the best of St. Bess and a population set apart by steadfast ethics and efforts. Able farmers and fishermen instilled the reputation, and we make it stay.
ARID PARADISE: The Santa Cruz Mountains naturally shelter Treasure Beach from the reams of rainfall that soak the north, so our tropical sanctuary grows both cacti and broad acacia.
BIG FISHING: The fishermen here fish like they have for centuries: with nets, traps, pots and dugout canoes. And 60 miles off the coast is a fertile bank called the Pedro Cays, where the trades most diehard make their home and sail in the seas bounty daily.
FARM FRESH: Our parish is the islands supplier for fruits and vegetables, growing everything from sweet melons to scotch bonnet in abundance. Farmers cover their rich red soil with blankets of guinea grass to keep the minimal moisture-and then tenderly tend the rows.
Approximate Population: 3500
Clotheslines: 3500 / Dryers: 0
Communit y Organizations: 8
Temperature: 85, every day
Rum bars in the middle of the ocean: 1
All-Inclusive Chain Hotels: 0
Sally Henzell contains multitudes. She’s a bona fide set designer, window dresser, poet, muse, painter, planter, builder, stylist and most recently, architect.
In 1991, she bought a little mud and wattle house in Treasure Beach, just down the road from where she spent her childhood summers.
Sally says, “Now this little parcel of land was well known to me. It was where we ended up having walked down the reef with Daddy so that he could shoot our breakfast in Barracuda Hole and where on the tiny beach we could meet up with the neighbouring kids and play.”
She soon turned her little house into a restaurant and people started coming. Sally had a lot of friends who wanted to stay over. So she built some groovy rooms, which then attracted groovy people.
Sally reminisces: “My son Jason, who had a perfectly good job at a bank in Mobay came to see what ole flipperty-jibbet Mummy was about and saw a potential that was a far larger ambition than mine.”
Jason bought more land. Sally began to build one bespoke cottage after another. Then she visited Barcelona to see Gaudis work: “Everything he did mattered, when he built a house he also built the furniture, put on the doorknobs and possibly the street lamp opposite with the ornate bench underneath it.”
Sally returned and built more, differently and beautifully, above and beyond. And Jakes became everything it is. Community maker. Love cultivator. Here is where the heart is. Read more......Read less