6 Reasons To Get Your Magnesium Fix
Did you know that magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body? It’s contained in every cell and plays a part in more than 600 reactions in your body including the conversion of food into energy, the contraction and relaxation of muscles and making new proteins from amino acids.
Despite its importance, most people don’t get enough magnesium in their diet. Here are reasons why you should make sure to get the recommended daily dose of this super mineral.
1. Magnesium plays a critical role in brain function and mood, and low levels are linked to an increased risk of depression. Supplementing with it can reduce symptoms of depression in some people.
2. It’s believed that about 48% of diabetics have low levels of magnesium in their blood. This can impair insulin’s ability to keep blood sugar levels under control.
3. Studies have shown that taking magnesium can help lower blood pressure in those who suffer from hypertension.
4. Magnesium rich foods (hello dark chocolate) or magnesium supplements can help to reduce inflammation. Low magnesium levels have been linked with chronic inflammation in the body. If this isn’t a good reason to grab some dark chocolate, what is?
5. Have migraines? People who suffer with this sometimes debilitating condition, may have low magnesium levels. Some studies have shown that ensuring you get enough magnesium (through diet or supplements) can help to prevent and treat migraines.
6. Magnesium has been shown to help reduce those irritating PMS symptoms than many women suffer from.
So how do you get all this great magnesium? Whole grains, nuts, fish, meat, dark green vegetables, legumes, dark chocolate and many fruits contain significant amounts of magnesium. When your diet fails, supplements can help out.