Benefits of a beach day
Have you ever heard someone say, “I went to the beach today, it was horrible. I feel awful.” Probably not. There are reasons people often equate the beach with paradise; after a day of sea and sad we tend to leave feeling relaxed, refreshed and pleasantly sleepy.
Here are a few reasons why a day at the beach is good for your health.
1. Seawater is full of essential minerals that our bodies love such as magnesium, potassium and iodine.
2. The minerals, trace elements and amino acids in seawater have antibiotic and antibacterial effects and can help promote a healthy immune system; these healthy components are easily absorbed and utilised by your body while swimming.
3. Magnesium is a crucial mineral – it helps keep blood pressure normal, bones strong, and the heart rhythm steady. Seawater and sand are great sources of this mineral, so laying on the sand and swimming at the beach allow you to soak up all that good stuff transdermally (through the skin).
4. Walking barefoot on sand strengthens the muscles of the feet, something that doesn’t happen that much when walking in shoes. Researchers have found that walking on sand requires 1.6 to 2.5 times the energy than it takes on a hard surface.
5. Those with dry skin rejoice. The magnesium in seawater may also help hydrate and improve the appearance of your skin. According to a study in the February 2005 edition of the “International Journal of Dermatology,” bathing in a magnesium-rich Dead Sea salt solution helps promote skin moisture.
6. When our skin is directly exposed to the sun, our bodies make vitamin D, which is vital for calcium absorption. Just 10 minutes in the sun as you play by the sea, can provide you with your daily does of this important vitamin.
7. Ever notice that you feel sleepy after a day at the beach? Well, all the magnesium in the seawater purportedly induces sleep. It can also relax your muscles and helps to reduce stress.
Sources: medicaldaily.com, livestrong.com, wellnessmama.com