Business of Carnival
Carnival season is well underway across many islands of the Caribbean and amidst all the revelry and celebration, there exists a wealth of sponsorship and promotional opportunities for small businesses, entrepreneurs, and independent artists. Some opportunities require a little more ingenuity and foresight than others but if successfully executed, will be well worth it. Here are just a few of the many ways that businesses and individuals can leverage Carnival for profit.
Ways to leverage the Carnival season before it starts.
- Sponsorship – One of the most common ways to leverage the carnival season for your business is through sponsorship. Sponsoring a carnival band, event, contestant, etc. is a very easy and effective way to showcase your brand and increase awareness among customers and potential customers.
- Have Carnival-Themed Promotions – Another very common and very effective strategy, is to offer carnival-themed promotions. Do you own a gym, then offer a carnival special/promotion in the months leading up to Carnival, encouraging people to get their bodies Carnival ready. Own a hair salon, offer special discounts to customers for Carnival-themed hairstyles, etc.
- Offer Existing Services – Another fairly simple but very effective way to leverage the Carnival season is to offer your existing services. For example, are you a web designer, offer to design an interactive, SEO and user-friendly website for a Carnival band and/or event ( Yello can help you there. Contact us today). Are you a tailor or seamstress, offer to sew costumes for a carnival band or contestant. If you’re a makeup artist, offer to do a Carnival Queen contestant’s makeup or to provide specially designed looks for a specific Carnival band.
Ways to create brand and marketing opportunities during the Carnival season.
- Offer Existing Services – Piggybacking off the previous point, there are ways to leverage your existing services during the season. Are you a photographer, offer to take professional pictures for individuals in their costume or arrange with a Carnival band to document Carnival day. If you are a tailor/seamstress, offer to do any alterations on costumes that may be necessary during the season. Are you a videographer, offer to film a Carnival band throughout the day and sell digital copies to band members at a discount. You can also offer it for free if lead generation is your major goal. That way, you are likely to be hired or at least considered by the individual the next time they want something filmed, e.g. wedding, graduation, etc.
Ways to leverage the Carnival season after it is over.
- Think Outside the Box – Most businesses and individuals focus on the pre and during Carnival season for most of their marketing efforts. However, there are opportunities to leverage the post-Carnival season. As exciting and enjoyable as the Carnival is, it can also leave revellers exhausted by the end from all the jumping up, drinking, partying, etc. It’s the perfect opportunity for health and wellness oriented businesses like a spa, yoga centre, etc. to offer post-Carnival specials to help individuals rejuvenate after the season is over.
Whatever avenue you pursue, just remember to be creative, focus on your company goal and objective, make it fun and you can’t go wrong.