Design 101: Things to Know Before Buying Furniture
Buying furniture can be challenging. The furniture you choose has an impact on the look, function and comfort level of your home, it is therefore important to shop carefully.
Here are some useful tips to keep in mind when shopping for furniture.
- Know what to spend your money on. You want to invest in the pieces that will take the most daily wear and tear such as sofas, dining chairs and rugs.
- Don’t skimp on when buying a mattress. A good quality mattress should be a priority when furniture shopping; your sleep is worth every dollar you’ll spend!
- Cut back on spending when it comes to less important accent pieces like mirrors and side tables.
- Don’t forget to measure the space where you’re considering placing a new piece of furniture.
- Measure the space and get the measurements for the prospective piece. Get out your measuring tape and use blue painter’s tape mock up the dimensions of the piece so that you’ll have a very clear idea of how it’s going to work in the space.
- It is also important to work out how a piece is going to get into your home, this is particularly important if you living in an apartment building. Examine the doorways, stairwells, etc, before you make a purchase.
- Before purchasing any wood furniture check it over carefully to assess its sturdiness. Check to see if all the doors and drawers are properly aligned and that all drawers open and close smoothly. Scrutinise the finish to determine the quality of the piece; run your hands along the wood surface to feel for any imperfections. The wood should feel smooth, even distressed furniture should have texture, but no rough patches.
- A sofa is an extremely important purchase and a good one should last you many years. Examine sofa cushion corners to make sure they are properly stuffed; the contour of the cushions should be plump and well-shaped. If the cushions appear squashed that usually indicates insufficient stuffing. Look closely at seams to make sure they aren’t puckering and are well-made and that details and buttons are firmly attached.
- Look for good multipurpose pieces. Buy a bed that has storage underneath, or an ottoman that doubles as a storage trunk for instance. These pieces are particularly useful when furnishing a small space.
- Always ask about the warranty for whatever you purchase.
For all your furniture needs, Find Yello has you covered.