Easy ways to be healthier
Getting healthy doesn’t have to be as hard as you might think!
You don’t have to do a complete overhaul of your way of life and suddenly become a paragon of health in one go.
Being healthy means making little changes that you can truly incorporate into your life and stick to them. We’re giving you 12 simple ways you can become a healthier you.
1. Replace one snack daily with fruit or vegetables.
2. Drink more water. Plain water, not flavoured water, not enhanced water, good old H20.
3. Use the weekend to meal plan and prep for the week. By having your meals prepared, you’re less likely to grab something quick and unhealthy for dinner.
4. Slow down while you eat. Taste your food, enjoy it, take in the different textures. It takes your body around 20 minutes to signal to your brain that you’re full; often when you scoff down your meal super-fast you’ll end up overeating.
5. Use smaller plates or bowls when you’re having breakfast, lunch or dinner. Large plates tend to lead us to consume more food because portions appear smaller.
6. Learn relaxation techniques that work for you. Stress has a whole host of negative effects on the body; learn to keep stress at a minimum.
7. Pack your lunch. When working in an office, it’s easy to grab lunch at the nearest fast food place or snack on processed foods from the vending machine.
8. Go meat-free one day a week. Meatless Monday, Salad Saturday, Fish Friday? Pick a day and steer clear of meat.
9. Exercise for at least 30 minutes 3-5 days a week.
10. Find a workout partner. People who work out with a partner tend to stick to a workout routine more easily.
11. Reduce the time you sit. Make a conscious effort to get up several times during the day and walk around for a few minutes. Sitting all day is bad for your health.
12. Put down the phone at least half an hour before bed. Yes, stop scrolling through Instagram and put that phone down.