Reasons to do a digital detox
Modern life is ruled by screens. Computer screens at work, tablets, the TV or our smartphones, the glow of a screen is ever-present; we’re surrounded, we’re addicted. The attachment we have to our devices isn’t necessarily doing our mental and physical health any favours.
What is a digital detox?
It’s simply disconnecting from technology for a certain period of time in order to reconnect with other areas of life that get drowned out by technology or to give yourself a rest.
Here are some reasons why you should give digital detoxing a try.
- A digital detox will gradually help you reduce the complete dependence most of us feel on our smartphones. We’re so used to having them on hand at all times, hearing our phones ring or beep even when it isn’t and not being able to leave the house without it.
- You’ll be able to notice the ways you’ve become dependent on, or addicted to certain digital platforms or social media. It’s easier to see these patterns when you take a step back from the situation.
- Taking a digital detox allows you to reconnect with yourself and your thoughts. Social media and work emails are constantly vying for our attention which doesn’t leave a lot of room for introspection. Switching off from technology gives you a chance to reconnect with your inner world and is conducive to deep thought.
- We’re multitasking masters, always busy with something, always on, always connected; it never seems as though we have enough time for all the demands, to answer all the emails and texts. A digital detox helps you to take a breath and slow down for a moment. You’ll be surprised at home much more relaxed life can be when you switch off for a little.
- Surveys and studies have reported an association between various tech and depression, anxiety. It’s good for mental health to step away from technology for even a little while.
A digital detox might be just the thing you need to feel happier and healthier.