Staying Safe: General Safety Tips for Children
In a perfect world no child would ever come to harm. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world. Some general safety tips can go a long way in helping your children to protect themselves.
- Don’t give personal information such as your name, address or phone number to strangers. Any information that you share should be with the permission of your parent or guardian.
- Keep the door locked when you’re at home alone. Don’t let anyone know you’re alone and don’t open the door for anyone.
- If you’re home alone and answer the phone, don’t let the caller know you’re alone.
- Stick together when you’re out and about. The adage ‘there’s safety in numbers’ is true. When you go out with friends, stay with the group. Go to the plaza, the movies, etc with a friend or in a group; you’re safer with others than you are on your own.
- Do not take short cuts or go into deserted or abandoned areas especially if you’re by yourself.
- You’ve been taught to be polite to adults and authority figures, but remember, it’s okay to be rude to an adult if they’re making you feel uncomfortable or unsafe.
- Don’t talk to people you meet online without your parent’s permission. Don’t share photos with strangers on the internet and certainly never send photos without clothes on.
- Don’t agree to meet face-to-face with someone you’ve met online unless your parent agrees. If you do get permission from your parent or guardian, ensure an adult accompanies you and the meeting is in a public place.
- If you feel uncomfortable or suspicious approaching a vehicle, or about a vehicle approaching you, cross the street or head in the opposite direction.
- Always let your parent or guardian know where you are, where you’re going, how you plan to get there, who you are with and when you plan to get home.
- Never go anywhere with a stranger. If someone you don’t know tries to touch you or pull you towards them say loudly: “I don’t know you!”
- Know that you have the right to say no to anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. Say no.
- If at any time you feel worried or scared dial 119.