Here’s What You Need to Know About the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta
by Carolyn Lee Apr 15, 2019
Sunshine, fresh air and the open sea … such bliss!
Wouldn’t it be great to participate in a classic yacht regatta or hang out on the sidelines cheering on your favourite yacht crew?
If you plan on being in Antigua 17-23 April 2019, you are in luck!
The Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta is back and with it, lots of excitement, fun and adventure on and off the open seas. The event is held annually during the month of April, just before Sailing Week. It attracts participants and regatta lovers from around the globe.
The Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta, a world-renowned event, was launched in 1987. It features four days of races with prizes for privately and professionally maintained yachts.
The official Facebook page for the regatta dubs it as, “the magical combination of serious racing, laid back Antiguan hospitality, plenty of rum, sunshine and great camaraderie in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere…”
What else can you expect:
- Four days of racing from and back to Falmouth Harbour.
- Nightly events at the Antigua Yacht Club in Falmouth Harbour – musical nights, prize giving ceremonies, an organic hog roast, etc.
- A huge and impressive variety of classic yachts – traditional island craft, sloops, classic ketches, schooners, yawls, striking Spirit of Tradition yachts, J Class and Tall Ships.
- Day one, morning: Over 50-60 yachts moored at the Antigua Yacht Club Marina, showing off their beauty and magnificence for judging.
- Day one, afternoon: A unique and challenging Single-Handed Race featuring yachts of up to 120 feet competing against each other.
- A touch of nostalgia via the Parade of Classics in the English Harbour, which features sailors wearing period costumes after the Sunday race.
- Post regatta events – a cream tea party in the English Harbour and traditional gig racing.
What should you bring:
- Comfortable attire (footwear and headgear included).
- Lots of sunscreen.
- Your crew – family and/or good friends to hang out with.
- Water bottles.
- Good energy and a sense of adventure are a plus!
Now that you have an idea of what to expect and what you need to have, are you ready?