Quick Tips To Help You Conserve Water During A Drought
by Lou-Ann Jordan Mar 4, 2019
January meandered in and with it the dry season. This dry season, however, disruptions in weather patterns have raised concerns. Many countries in the region are preparing for the possibility of a prolonged dry spell occurring.
Unfortunately, droughts cannot be prevented, but early detection can minimise its impact. As we are all likely to be affected by this, Yello wants to share some tips on that will come in handy because proper planning and management can help lessen its severity.
As a drought occurs when there is low precipitation resulting in water shortage, water conservation is of the utmost importance. This is especially so as a drought can last a few months or even years.
While the authorities will keep us informed of the developing situation, we can begin planning.
Here are some quick tips to help you conserve water:
- Always turn faucets off tightly, so they don’t drip.
- Promptly repair any leaks in and around your faucets.
- Turn off your tap when brushing your teeth.
- Don’t let the water run continuously when handwashing dishes.
- Use the shortest cycle possible when washing clothes in a washing machine.
- When washing vehicles use a bucket rather than a hose.
- While showering don’t let the water run needlessly.
- Refrain from doing exterior cleaning using a power washer.
- Turn sprinklers off. Water plants using a bucket and water lawns less frequently.
- Where practical collect and use rainwater.
Our list is by no means exhaustive. We’re sure you can think of additional ways to conserve water. Be sure to observe national restrictions on water use. And, for more information check with your local water authority.
Water conservation is all our responsibility.