15 Things to Do With ‘Pear’ that Don’t Involve Bulla
by Stephanie Koathes Oct 5, 2020
Jamaicans love our pear, known to the rest of the world as avocado. This creamy, nutrient-rich fruit can be used for more than a topping for bulla or in slices alongside your breakfast.
Here are 15 other ways you can use avocados.
1. Make fries. Just slice the avocado, dip the slices in egg, roll in breadcrumbs and bake at 400°F.
2. Use avocado, mashed or in slices, to replace mayo in sandwiches. A sandwich with egg and avocado is tasty, filling and healthy.
3. In fact, you can use avocados to replace the mayo in things like chicken salad and tuna salad for lightened up lunch options that are full of healthy fats.
4. Avocado can be used as a substitute for shortening, butter, eggs and oils in baking and make wonderfully moist muffins and fudgy brownies.
5. Dress salads. You can use avocado to make creamy salad dressings instead of using dairy-based dressings.
6. Avocados can be used as a vegan-friendly base for frostings and mousses. When flavoured with things like yummy chocolate, you won’t even notice that there’s avocado in there.
7. Stuffing an avocado with breakfast foods like eggs and bacon makes for a satisfying start to the day. Experiment with the fillings!
8. Packed with good for you monounsaturated fats, avocados make a great base for nourishing face and hair masques.
9. Use avocados along with other healthy ingredients such as green vegetables, berries, and other fruits to make filling, nutrient-packed smoothies.
10. Avocados can be used as a base for healthier ‘ice cream’.
11. Add some parmesan cheese and basil to smashed avocado to make a lovely creamy sauce for pasta dishes that’s lighter than your typical Alfredo.
12. Make a sweet Vietnamese avocado shake by blending avocado with condensed milk, milk, and ice.
13. Give your eyes an anti-ageing treatment using the leftover pulp from avocado skins. Apply mashed avocado to the eye area and allow the vitamins to soak into the skin for 15 minutes.
14. Replace the butter and milk or cream in mashed potatoes with mashed avocados for less a fattening dish.
15. Avocado can be blended up with milk and sugar to make whipped cream topping for baked goodies.
Pear is a versatile fruit and we hope you enjoy trying out some of these ways to use it!