Easy Green: 12 Ways to Use Less Plastic Every Day
by Stephanie Koathes Dec 3, 2018
We’re addicted to plastic. We drink out of it, eat off of it and with it, carry things in it…plastic is everywhere in our lives. Unfortunately our use of plastic products is having a terrible impact on the environment and wildlife.
It is possible to cut down on the amount of plastic that ends up polluting the planet if we each take little steps to reduce how much plastic we use.
1. Don’t use straws, and when you’re out, request that you’re drinks be served without them as well. Straws are one of the most common plastic products found on beaches. You can also purchase reusable stainless steel straws.
2. Always carry a reusable water bottle, preferably a stainless steel or glass one.
3. The same goes for your morning brew. Invest in a reusable travel coffee cup to carry with you when you head to the coffee shop.
4. Use your own cutlery instead of taking single use plastic utensils. When ordering take-out request that restaurants not to pack them with your meal.
5. Say no to plastic bags at the supermarket, pharmacy, or wherever you might get them.
6. Buy items packaged in glass jars or boxes instead of plastic bottles. Cardboard is more easily recycled than plastic.
7. Use reusable bags when you shop, and skip the produce bags. A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to degrade.
8. When ordering pizza, request that the pizza place not include little plastic pizza saver in the middle of the pizza box.
9. Shop at farmers markets when you can. The fruits and veggies at the market aren’t packaged in plastic like those found in supermarkets.
10. When shopping at the supermarket, go for “loose” produce rather than those pre-packaged in plastic.
11. Use non-plastic containers to store or transport food. Stainless steel and glass are great options.
12. Avoid buying frozen foods because the packaging is mostly