How to Conserve Water and Lower Your Bill
by Karen Rollins May 2, 2022
We all know that water is a precious commodity. It’s vital for so many everyday activities from taking a shower to cleaning the car, and of course, we need it to drink to stay alive.
Even though a lot of Caribbean islands are water scarce, it can be easy to take water for granted when really, we should be saving it where possible, and using it more wisely.
Here are 10 ways you can conserve water, which will help the environment and keep your water bill down!
1. If you’re having a hot drink, only fill the kettle up with the water you need.
2. Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth – according to some experts a running tap can waste more than six litres of water a day.
3. Fix any leaking taps or pipes as quickly as possible.
4. Do not flush the toilet every time you go – remember the saying ‘if it’s yellow let it mellow, but if it’s brown flush it down.’
5. Take a shower instead of a bath and do not shower for more than three minutes – set a timer if you need to.
6. Install a tank to harvest rainwater and use that to wash your car and water your plants.
7. Use a washing up bowl to clean your dishes rather than filling the sink.
8. Buy a water efficient toilet with a dual flush – this will ensure only a certain amount of water goes down the drain.
9. Fill your garden with drought resistant plants that don’t need as much watering.
10. Do not wash your clothes in the washing machine until you have a full load and choose short wash cycles.