International Friendship Day: Five Ways to Celebrate the Day with Your Besties
by Maia Muttoo Jul 29, 2019
Though we all cherish our friends, sometimes we forget to express it through our words and actions.
This year, International Friendship Day falls on Tuesday, 30 July.
The annual observance is the perfect excuse to spend quality time with your friends and show them how much you value them.
Here a few ways you can celebrate International Friendship Day with those dearest to you.
Write them a heartfelt letter
Sometimes, we don’t even tell our best friends how much they mean to us. Take the time to write a heartfelt letter that expresses your love. Here are some ideas for what to include:
- Recall how the two of you became friends.
- Reference some of your favourite memories together: funny ones, happy ones, significant ones.
- Compliment your favourite things about them.
- Say your hopes for the future, for them and for your friendship.
Get matching friendship items
Remember those friendship bracelets you had in middle school? Get matching items for you and your friend but think grown-up!
Consider what you have in common, or a theme that runs through your friendship. For example, if you have a similar fashion sense, get matching jewellery or clothing items; if you met at a concert, buy matching headphones or record players.
Do a special activity together
What do you love to do together? Is there a special place you like to hang out?
Schedule some time to do your favourite activities, whether that’s hiking, watching a movie, or going out dancing.
Alternatively, is there something your friend has always wanted to do but never gotten around to? A spa day? Camping? Maybe even a helicopter ride? Book that special activity for them and experience it together!
Call or email an old friend
You may not have spoken to some of your friends in a very long time; the business of day-to-day life combined or distance may have stopped both of you from reaching out.
Use this opportunity to catch up with long-lost college buddies, childhood friends, or international pals via a phone call or email.
Host a party
Celebrate all your friends at once by hosting a party! Here are some party ideas:
- Decorate with your favourite photos or have a Polaroid camera on-hand to capture new memories.
- Make a playlist of songs that are important to your friendship.
- If all your friends are around the same age, host a decade themed party, i.e. the 80s or 90s.
- Have a games night; pair up and play a friendship version of the newlywed game.
- Host a dinner party; go around the table sharing each person’s favourite memory, or favourite thing about the friend to their left.
On 30 July, celebrate your friends in honour of International Friendship Day. Share your love, make new memories, or gift them with a material expression of your friendship.