Anatomy of a Lead-Generating Website
by Yello Jul 25, 2019
A website is the most important tool that businesses have to showcase their goods and services and to turn prospects into actual customers. While there are a number of ways to get visitors to your website, at the end of the day, the ultimate goal is to convert those visitors into leads and eventually customers. There are a number of key elements necessary to make your business website a revenue-generating website.
Ask yourself – what does your current website look like? Does it guide visitors to take action or are they perplexed? Do you create landing pages for specific campaigns? Do you have a blog? Is your website’s content relevant to your business? Is the design attractive? What kind of experience do visitors have when they visit your website?
The answer to these questions is some of the fundamental components of a quality website that will help your business generate higher quality leads.
- Lead Generating Forms – As the name denotes, these are forms used to gather contact information from potential leads. Best practice for lead-generating forms is to always keep it simple – i.e. clear and direct. Ensure that the design is clean and simple though eye-catching and keep the questions to the essentials. That is the name, job title or company name, contact number, and email address. Lead generating forms can and should be used throughout your website, particularly for gated content, such as E-Book offers, webinars, podcasts, etc.
- Calls To Action (CTA) – As with the above, CTA’s are also as the name denotes. They are directions included in the content on your website that seeks to get the customer and/or potential customer to take some type of action. This includes asking that the customer and potential customer contact your business, with a link of course to the contact form on the website, or asking them to sign up for a free newsletter or learn more by clicking a link that directs them to related content, etc.
- Relevant Content – Relevant, engaging and timely content is KEY to the success of any website. This includes everything from a comprehensive About Us section that details your company vision, history, customer testimonials, etc., a Solutions section that showcases your various products and services, Resources that include blog articles, E-Book offers, webinars, podcasts, etc. Your website content needs to expertly showcase your brand and establish your authority in your market and industry.
- Landing Page – Display ads and social media promotions are two of the most effective ways to drive traffic to a business website. However, to ensure their effectiveness, individuals must be directed to a clearly defined landing page that provides them the information they’re seeking and directs them on any specific action they must take.
- Intuitive Design – This is simply a fancy way of saying that your website design should be easy to use. One of the easiest ways to turn off potential customers is having a too complicated, ill-designed website. If individuals find it very difficult to find what they’re looking for on your website, they will leave in frustration, thereby causing your website to have a high bounce rate. As a general rule, when it comes to the design and functionality of your website, keep the K.I.S.S. acronym in mind – i.e. keep it simple, stupid.
- Business Blog – Blogs are one of the most effective types of content to drive awareness and interest in your business. A quality blog can help a business improve SEO and search engine ranking, increase awareness, establish credibility as an industry thought leader, drive leads, etc. And the most effective place to host your business blog is your company website.
- Link to Social Media Pages – It is important to promote your various social media pages on your business website by linking to them. This ensures cross-promotion of your various content, offers, etc. and thereby increases traffic and awareness for both your website and social media pages.